As dental technology has improved over the last few decades, several effective procedures have been developed for dealing with chipped and damaged teeth. These treatments improve aesthetics and functionality and avoid pulling the teeth. One of the most popular of these treatments is porcelain veneers.
What is a porcelain veneer?
They have become a favorite of both dentists and patients because they are simple to place, they are versatile, and they are durable. The procedure simply involves bonding a thin, porcelain shell to the front of a damaged or stained tooth. They can dramatically improve the aesthetics of your smile.
Several factors make this procedure a top choice among dentists and their patients:
- They look completely natural and are nearly impossible to identify as anything other than real teeth.
- They are very difficult to stain with coffee, tea, or cigarettes.
- They have the bold, enamel display of a healthy tooth.
- You can usually repair accidental damage by replacing only the damaged veneer.
How durable is a porcelain veneer?
Your veneers should last a minimum of ten years with the proper care. Your dentist must properly place and bond them to your real teeth. Once properly placed, you will need to take care of them responsibly.
The dentists and staff at Smile Quest Dental are fully committed to providing and placing quality veneers with careful attention to detail.
For your part, the following good habits should lengthen the life of your porcelain veneers:
- Do not use your veneers as cutting or opening tools.
- Purchase a protective guard for your teeth if you clench or grind your teeth in your sleep.